Cleveland Institute of Art BFA Presentation and Defense:

For my BFA presentation and review in May of 2010 at the Cleveland Institute of Art, I chose to present a body of work that concentrated strictly on circle forms. I felt this was the best way to demonstrate a consistent development of thought and process, and the circle embodies many of the ideas pertinent to my work. The backdrop to this set-up was a grid, as I find the circle and the grid to be two symbols of perfection in opposition to one another. Whereas the grid represents a Christian/Western mode of being, the circle has been adopted from Zen Buddhism.




AS WORKS IN PROGRESS: For me, this is where the real excitement is in working with clay, and I suppose also with any other material or art form. In the same way a sketch has more vitality than a tightly rendered drawing, so too life is in the doing and not the destination. The final piece acts only as a marking point from which more ideas are generated and further detail worked out.

 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

BriĆ³n said...

It has been several months since this show and the creation of this body of work. Going back to its original inception gives me a better understanding of what I was trying to do at this time. Indeed, Christ's crown of thorns is what I was going for. I was attempting to marry this object of contemplation, furthermore, with ideas pertaining to the circular Enso form, adopted from Zen Buddhist calligraphy. While Christ's crown of thorns speaks of his innocence, humility, and divinity, the Enso embodies deliberation without hesitation. Both are separate yet equally accessible modes of perfection.